Feb 20, 2014

Jesus, The Hope of Man

Life is so short.

Make the moments count.

R.I.P.

My thoughts and prayers are with the (insert name here) family.

Phrases like these haunt me. When someone suddenly and tragically passes away, these are the phrases that we turn to. Frankly, I cannot find comfort in a 140 character post that will ultimately not make any difference in my life. I know what it feels like to lose someone so tragically. In that time in my life, the last thing I wanted someone to say to me was, "Dang, life is so short. Don't forget to make your moments count. My prayers are with you."

I wonder what would happen if we actually went to those families and started praying over them. Praying that God would reveal his purpose through these awful tragedies. That God would bring restoration and peace, even in the midst of losing a child, sibling, or friend. I wonder what would happen if we poured out the same love over them as Jesus did for us. I wonder if our simple words would open up a door to their healing process, or moreover, their salvation. I'm not saying that we can save people. It's the Holy Spirit's job to open up their hearts. But it is our job to be a burning light to the people around us. We are the ones who share that good news. 

I promise you that you will not find answers, hope, or peace through inspirational tweets or Facebook posts. You won't find them in your girlfriend, boyfriend, or spouse. You won't find them at the bottom of a bottle or on the edge of a razor blade.
Let me tell you from sheer experience that you will only find everything you need in Christ alone. Because HE WILL fight for you. You need only to be still. He wants your heart. He wants your life. He seriously wants you. Your hopelessness and brokenness will FLEE when you turn to Him. They no longer have you bound in chains. Instead, Jesus brings healing, joy, and freedom. Open up the Bible and seek Him. Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you. That is a promise.

Philippians 4:7 has helped me through some of my darkest times. It says this; "The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
And also John 14:27; "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid"

Jesus is our ultimate healer. He is our provider. Our savior. Our redeemer. Our comforter. Our firm foundation. Our only hope.

Seek Him, and find your security in Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment